An oak is a tree or shrub in the genus Quercus (Latin “oak tree”) of the beech family, Fagaceae. There are approximately 600 extinct species of oaks.
The genus Quercus is native to the Northern Hemisphere and includes deciduous and evergreen species extending from cool temperate to tropical latitudes.North America contains the largest number of oak species.
Distribution : America, Asia, Europe and North Africa
Leaves & Flowers: Oaks have spirally arranged leaves, with lobate margins in many species; some have serrated leaves or entire leaves with smooth margins. Many deciduous species are marcescent, not dropping dead leaves until spring. In spring, a single oak tree produces both male flowers (in the form of catkins) and small female flowers. The fruit is a nut called an acorn or oak nut borne in a cup-like structure known as a cupule; each acorn contains one seed (rarely two or three) and takes 6–18 months to mature, depending on their species. The oak tree is a flowering plant.
- The wood is very resistant to insect and fungal attack because of its high tannin content, therefore used in construction of fine furniture and interior panelling.
- Barrels in which wines, sherry, and spirits such as brandy, Irish whiskey, Scotch whisky and Bourbon whiskey are aged are made from European and American oak.
- Oak wood chips are used for smoking fish, meat, cheeses and other foods.
- The bark of the white oak is dried and used in medical preparations.
- Oak Flower is one of the component of Bach Flower Remedy.Oak Flower Remedy is used in boosting and maintaining the positive state of energy of a body.In this category are the individuals with High spirit, strong motivation, high will power, devotion of duty and superhuman characteristics. There are many people depending on these individual for pleasure and bringing Joy in their lives but they will deny themselves all personal pleasure.
Oak flower essences help these individual to remain as charismatic as they are along with balancing time and energy for them as well. Providing a thought of living life to the fullest and allowing the journey through life to be more pleasant .